My Tactile Turn Mover in titanium arrived today ! I have been looking forward to getting this pen I backed on KickStarter for a while. My favorite maker of this class of hand machined pens is of course Karas Kustoms. However one problem with my Karas Kustoms Retrakt is that it is too smooth. I find it hard to hold the pen for a long time. The Tactile Turn pens are famous for their special spiral machined into the grip section that makes holding the pen comfortable, so I backed their project.
How does it compare?
- Because I have the Titanium Mover vs the Aluminium Retrakt, the Mover is slightly heavier, but not uncomfortably so.
- The groves in the grip section really works well. The pen is much easier to hold and write with
- The Mover comes with a really nice "case" (see photo). I think that is really smart packaging
- The click machanism looks just like the one used in the Ratrakt
So are there any negatives? A few small ones:
- The threading on the body (when you open the pen to access the refill) is not as smooth as the Retrakt.
- It does not come with any additional spacers and springs. When I got the pen it comes with a Pilot G2 0.38 gel refill which is nice, but I prefer the Pilot Acroball refill (BRPV-10EF). I swapped it right away and used the spring I got from the Acroball body. Kara Kustoms ships their pen with extra springs and spacers.
- The pen arrived with the refill clicked "in", and some ink has leaked out because of it
- Finally - this is the only flaw that I find -- because of the spiral grove, the end of the pen has a sharp edge to it (see picture). I think that should be smoothed out.
Still love the pen. I think I will use this more than my Retrakt now. I really hope they fixed the edge problem going forward.