I do not have an iPad. That's right. I am waiting for the iPad2. But I ordered the AppleTV on announcement date. And now with AirPlay fully supported (after a system update on both the iPhone 3GS and the AppleTV) it is media heaven. What works?
- on the iPhone 3GS, I can play a movie on the "ipod" app directly onto my AppleTV
- the rdio app can stream all my rdio music directly onto my AppleTV -- this is a big win. Now I can stream everything that rdio has in the cloud to my main home theatre system. My $10/month subscription is getting full mileage
- the YouTube app on the iPhone can also send video to the AppleTV. This is slightly redundent, as there is direct YouTube support on the AppleTV. But I can use the keyboard on my iPhone to find video faster.
- update: the pictures on the camera roll can go to the apple TV by using the airplay icon (Thanks to lance's comment below)
What does not work?
- I cannot figure out how to send a picture in my "camera roll" to the AppleTV
- Hulu+ app does not support AirPlay -- This is a big lost for me. I don't know if it is Hulu that needs to update their app, or is Apple not allowing it to do so.
- NPR News app does not support AirPlay either. It would be cool if it did.
So, after 30 minutes of playing, I'd keep to my original point -- this is truly revolutionary, even if most of you don't know it yet!